Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Accepting Weakness and Turning Them into Strengths


I love this prayer and totally need it today.

Mood today: sad, humbled, grateful

Craving today: steak, medium rare. and also chocolate since the bad news from the doctor :-/

Wish today: to recover from this hip injury and run the half marathon on March 4th, since I officially can't run the full I would at least like to run the half... please?

Inspiration today:

 
I love that!!!!

Gratitude list:
  • Dr. Labrada - met her today for the first time, and even though she told me that I can't run the marathon that I've been training for since August, she was the most sincere, honest, real, and genuine health professional I've met in a long time. Thank you!
  • Friends - real friends are so awesome, especially when you are down and out.
  • Aromatherapy from scents like cinnamon and vanilla, and anything that smells remotely like a baked good.
  • My awesome boss and amazing job.
  • A great body shop for fixing my car. Happy Black Betty!
  • The Lord, for always protecting me... can't say it enough
Well, it's been a pretty humbling and difficult day to process. Basically I found out during my sports doctor appointment that I can't run the marathon on March 4th, and should really never run a full marathon. You see, I had full spinal fusion in 1999 to help with my severe double-curved scoliosis, and well, basically I haven't had a fully functioning spine since. So if I run a billion miles, my less-than average spine will slowly start to wear down the other parts like my hips. My hips are practically wrecked now, because of all the running and weakness of my spine. I am lucky I got this far! But I still have to accept the reality of my situation and make the best of it. So now I have to stop running, keep strength training, and later on start swimming and light cross-training. I start physical therapy next Monday and she'll let me know if she thinks I can run the half marathon after about a week or two of regular sessions with her. I'm really grateful for her honestly and help. She gave me 2 hours of her undivided attention and it ws such a blessing! I know she cares about my body and does not want me to hurt myself further. I get it now. I just wish my other doctors would have done the same thing instead of telling me they could fix me up to run the marathon, but I'd be totally wrecked afterwards. Very confusing! I'm much more at peace with this truth now. Even though it's hard, it is much better to live in this serenity rather than the nagging worry and fear I had before. Thank you, dear Lord, thank you.
I have a lot to be thankful for... a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment